Tuesday, August 23, 2005

i just need to venti

Starbucks has a campaign called "The Way I See It", the alleged goal of which "is to create a fair and balanced forum for discussion" by printing various quotes expressing various viewpoints on their cups.

Cheat Seeking Missiles wrote a letter of complaint about this pro-homosexual message on one of the cups:
The Way I See #43

"My only regret about being gay
is that I repressed it for so long.
I surrendered my youth to the
people I feared when I could have
been out there loving someone.
Don't make that mistake yourself.
Life's too d*** short."
and received this response:
Thanks for taking the time to write about "The Way I See It." Starbucks has long been dedicated to creating a unique "third place" between home and work. We also draw on the centuries-old tradition of the coffeehouse as a place to gather, share ideas, and enjoy delicious beverages. We see this program as an extension of the coffeehouse culture - a way to promote open, respectful conversation among a wide variety of individuals.

Because this program is meant to encourage discussion and the exchange of ideas, your feedback is very important. In fact, it's a vital part of the conversation.

I can understand that you do not appreciate it when political speech that you disagree with appears in "The Way I See It." Our goal with "The Way I See It" is to create a fair and balanced forum for discussion. To do this, we have invited authors representing a wide range of views. Not everybody we have invited has chosen to participate, but we will continue to make this program an inclusive one.

We also invite all customers to contribute their own quotes for consideration, and to give us feedback in our "letters to the editor" section on the website. If you would like to contribute a quote for the cup, or to respond to a particular cup you've seen, please feel free to do so!
Here are some previous customer submissions, none of which are as controversial as the first.

I'm not much of an organizer, but it would be a great idea for Christians to contribute Bible verses. So Starbucks would either have to print at least a few of them, or admit that they're not really as "fair and balanced" as they would have you believe.

I'd especially like to see them print Genesis 1 - the six days of creation...

No comments: