Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Bible Marking

Growing up, I was taught not to mark on the pages of books, unless they were specifically designed to be marked on (like workbooks or coloring books). During my teen and college years, though, some teachers at church recommended various ways of highlighting and/or marking bible verses which you found had "special meaning" for you. I knew many of my friends did so, but it still struck me as wrong, in part due to these words found in the last chapter of Revelation.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Sanctimonious Hypocrite said...

I think people used to record marriages and births in the family Bible because it was assumed the writer would be afraid to write a lie in the Bible.

Here's an interesting description of a few different Notetaking systems.

I use post-it notes and a seperate notebook, but I'm not a heavy note-taker. I don't object to writing in a Bible, but I rarely write in any book anyway. Reading the end of Ecclesiastes, I wonder if the last few verses could have been annotations added by a later editor. If so, at what point did it become 'un-ammendable?'

Tom Harrison