Thursday, March 31, 2005

on the way home today

...I saw a couple of fighters flying low out to the west over the NAS JRB, which used to be Carswell Air Force Base. They were doing tight turns and maneuvers, which is a little unusual to be happening right over a city. Since I didn't have to be anywhere in particular, I drove in that general direction, and eventually found a high clear spot (south of the field) to stop and watch the planes.

I watched from there for a few minutes, then drove around to the west end of the field, which turned out to be the perfect spot. Just as I stepped out of the car, they flew directly overhead in the diamond formation, low enough where I could read the letters on their wings! It was the Navy's Blue Angels practicing for their show this weekend.

Guess where I'll be Saturday. :) :)

(p.s. I remember going to the nearby Ridgmar Mall as a kid and staying out in the parking lot to watch the B52s take off overhead. I also have some relatives who have worked at the aircraft company nearby, now known as Lockheed Martin. One of them worked there from the B36 through the F16 programs.)

No comments: