Friday, November 13, 2009

freedom of meep

(For the 98% of us who didn't know, arcane profanity ahead)

Dustbury, Theodora Michaels, and I will vigorously defend our right to say "meep":
Danvers High School is banning students from uttering the word “meep,” a trademark of Beaker from “The Muppet Show.”

The Salem News reported Principal Thomas Murray banned the word after school officials got wind of a student plan brewing on Facebook to stage a major disruption on school grounds using the “meep.”

WBZ-TV reported Murray informed students in an e-mail and phone message that police are monitoring the situation.

The Urban Dictionary defines meep as another way to say “ouch,”or “uh-oh.” It can also be a substitute for a swear word.
I personally abstain from swearing as much as possible, but this rule is ridiculous. Immature as it may be, kids will find a way to curse, and banning this word will 1) encourage its use, and 2) encourage them to find new curses, or give a vulgar meaning to some word.

An aside, I'd rather hear that m-word than the f-word. If nothing else, its use would have made "Reservoir Dogs" much more entertaining to me... one example:
Nash: That meep! That sick meep! That meepin meeptard!

Orange: Marvin, I need you to hold on. There's cops waiting less than a block away.

Nash: What the meep are they waiting for? This meeping guy slashes my face, and he cuts my meeping ear off! I'm meeping deformed!

Orange: [yells] Meep you! Meep you! I'm meeping dying here!

2 comments:

Col. B. Bunny said...

Clearly you missed the subtlety and elegance of the dialog in Reservoir Dogs.

Hatless in Hattiesburg said...

meep the meepin sublety - i didn't meepin hear any ele-meepin-gance!

:)