Saturday, April 18, 2009

what is the solution?

In this post at The Jungle Hut (which reminds us how you can know a person by the company he keeps), some comments ask how we can be rid of the Obamanation stalking the world. This of course reminded me of a Bible verse i've referred to more than once: 2 Chronicles 7:14
"If My people, who are called by My Name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
These are comforting words, and they are as true now as the day they were spoken nearly 3,000 years ago. God will not fail His promise.

If...

Notice that this promise is not unilateral. Unlike some other promises, He did not promise to "heal their land" no matter what. The outcome is contingent on God's people doing four specific things:
  • humbling themselves,
  • praying,
  • seeking His face,
  • turning from their wicked ways.
If His people today follow these steps with true humility and repentance, I know that God "will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land". Probably not in any manner than we could have predicted, and definitely better than we could have imagined.

But...

The verse continues in a way not often quoted, especially in warm-fuzzy churches. God spells out what happens if His people do not follow him:
"But if you turn away and forsake the decrees and commands I have given you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, then I will uproot Israel (My people) from my land, which I have given them, and will reject this temple I have consecrated for my Name. I will make it a byword and an object of ridicule among all peoples. And though this temple is now so imposing, all who pass by will be appalled and say, 'Why has the LORD done such a thing to this land and to this temple?' People will answer, 'Because they have forsaken the LORD, the God of their fathers, who brought them out of Egypt, and have embraced other gods, worshiping and serving them — that is why he brought all this disaster on them.'"
These are very uncomfortable words to hear, but they are also as true now as they were 3,000 years ago, and God will not fail His promise. This part is not done from spite or vindictiveness. I suspect all of that causes Him more pain than it causes us, like a caring parent seeing his children jumping in front of traffic, using drugs, or playing russian roulette.


Let's not wait any longer to do our part, please?