Thursday, July 29, 2004

Oh yeah, I forgot, Micro$oft is evil...

The history: I've used several types of computers over the years. Eventually, I started working on a Mac Quadra 800 with System 7 on it, and that was the first system that "felt right" to me, for whatever reason; as an artist, maybe it was the millions of colors available to me, instead of 256 (or "ink" and "paper" on the old Timexes). While at that job, I bought a 486, but it had many "issues". I traded up a couple of times, and ended up with a P2 333 and a Mac G4. Then OSX came out and the Mac just didn't "feel right" any more, so I left mine running 8.6, and am sticking with those two boxes for a while.

The next job had me working on Windows 2000 Pro, which was the first Windows system I worked with that didn't require at least a dozen reboots a day. By that time M$ had stolen most of the good stuff from the MacOS, so it wasn't too horrible of a transition. The boxes I work on now also run Win2K.

The last few months, our admin has been busy with patching and upgrading to guard against email viruses, and there has been a lot of really vile adware/spyware messing with things.

All that to say this: Today, after finagling with some (admittedly minor) spyware issues at work, I emailed a couple of personal graphics files from work to my home email address. When I got my email at home, "Outlook has removed some potentially unsafe attachments from this message", so I didn't get MY OWN FILES that I sent TO MY OWN COMPUTER. As I'm surfing later, I get more than one request to set my homepage to some spywaring jerk's site, and on most pages I visit, the little 'red eyeball' icon for cookies shows up, which means that someone I have no reason to trust HAS PUT THEIR FILE ON MY COMPUTER. So, basically, M$ gives hackers more external access to my computer than I have.

I understand more each day why my programmer friends like Unix & Linux so much...

No comments: