Thursday, December 17, 2009

health insurance

zomblog explains one objection to public healthcare:
I’m speaking specifically of medical problems caused by:
  • Obesity
  • Cigarette smoking
  • Alcohol abuse
  • Reckless behavior
  • Criminal activity
  • Unprotected promiscuous sex
  • Use of illicit drugs
  • Cultural traditions
  • Bad diets
Now, I really don’t care if you overeat, smoke like a chimney, hump like a bunny or forget to lock the safety mechanism on your pistol as you jam it in your waistband. Fine by me. And as a laissez-faire social-libertarian live-and-let-live kind of person, I would never under normal circumstances condemn anyone for any of the behaviors listed above. That is: Until the bill for your stupidity shows up in my mailbox. Then suddenly, I’m forced to care about what you do, because I’m being forced to pay for the consequences.

No comments: