Friday, October 10, 2008

Tonight's "News"

Years ago, a telemarketer offered me a "free prize", which only cost $14.95 shipping. Before declining the offer, I repeated back her statements in hope that she would notice the logical disconnect. The conversation proceeded something like this:

"So this thing is free?"
"Yes sir."
"But it costs $14.95."
"Yes sir."
"I thought you said it was free?"
"It is sir."
"How can it be free if I have to pay $14.95 to get it?"
"It's free but you do have to pay to receive it."
etc... for a few minutes (I was bored that day)

Polite, yes. Sensible, not so much.


Tonight's local news gave me that same sense of disbelief, when these two back-to-back stories were presented without any apparent sense of irony:?!?!?

Also, as part of their fair and balanced reporting, these political headlines were somehow missing:I'm shocked - shocked! - that those headlines were omitted...

No comments: