Friday, October 07, 2005

My only post on the Miers nomination

(Not being a real writer, I couldn't get all my thoughts on the topic into a coherent paragraph, so I'll present them as a list.)
  1. Opinions abhor a vacuum.
  2. Rational discussion is appropriate, but intra-party acrimony only encourages the other side.
  3. Despite the bickering about her qualifications, I remain unconvinced whether or not Harriet Miers will turn out to be a good Supreme Court judge. Even though I'm still 'on the fence' about this, both my feet are on Hugh Hewitt's side.
  4. On the surface, it appears that our President has not learned that appeasement of the enemies of America does not work any better on the domestic front than it does on the international front.
  5. To paraphrase an old proverb, "Hope for a Rehnquist, prepare for a Warren."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don`t really think those on the right who are against her believe she`s unqualified. That`s just an excuse for them.

I think it has more to do with the "fear of the unknown" factor.

They want a firebrand conservative and I think that Miers is balanced.
I don`t mean balanced politcally but in the way she views law.

She has been known to keep her politics out of her professional life.
As a conservative with no real agenda for the court than justice, all I can ask is: what`s wrong with that?

I really don`t want ANOTHER politicized Justice from the left OR right. Just a judge who can do their job.